When you get hurt because of poorly maintained or dangerous conditions on someone’s property, you may be left coping with painful injuries and financial worries. If you are injured or a loved one is killed, an experienced Las Vegas premises liability attorney can help you pursue compensation to recover monetary damages for your losses.
At Hofland & Tomsheck, our attorneys have more than a decade of experience representing victims or family members of individuals killed due to a property owner’s failure to provide a reasonably safe environment. You are not alone if you’ve been hurt and we are here to protect your rights and get you the full compensation available under the law. Call or contact us online today to schedule a free case evaluation and to get answers to important questions including:
- Do I have a case under Las Vegas premises liability law?
- What should I do if I get hurt on someone’s property
- Can a Las Vegas premises liability lawyer help with my case?
If you are on someone else’s property or on public land and you get hurt, you may have legal rights under the premises liability laws in Las Vegas. These laws mandate that property owners have a duty to visitors to maintain property in a reasonably safe way. The specific requirements imposed on property owners vary depending upon the circumstances. For example:
- Property owners who invite customers onto their property have an obligation to inspect the premises regularly, to fix hazardous conditions or to warn guests of dangers.
- Property owners who invite friends or casual guests onto their property have no inspection obligations, but must fix dangerous conditions or warn guests about hazards the owner is aware of or that the owner reasonably should be aware of.
- Property owners who know of visiting trespassers cannot set traps and must warn trespassers of extremely dangerous risks. Individuals who create potentially hazardous conditions, such as putting in a swimming pool, also need to take steps like putting up a fence to keep kids from getting hurt.
If a property owner falls short of fulfilling an obligation to you, then you have a case under Las Vegas premises liability law. Some examples of situations where claims commonly arise include:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Negligent security
- Exposure to toxins, such as lead paint or mold
- Falling debris or falling objects
- Uneven or broken stair treads
Any time your injury results from a failure on the part of a property owner, you should speak with a Las Vegas premises liability attorney to determine if you have a claim.What Should You Do If You Get Hurt on Someone’s Property?
If you are injured on someone’s property, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit. Those whose family members are killed can file a wrongful death claim. In both a personal injury and wrongful death case, you have the burden of proving that the defendant was negligent in maintaining the property and that this negligence caused harm.
Many cases settle outside of court if a reasonable settlement is offered. However, once you agree to a settlement, you cannot change your mind and sue later for more money. A Las Vegas premises liability lawyer should negotiate and review your settlement to ensure you are fully compensated for losses.Free Consultation with a Las Vegas Premises Liability Lawyer
A Las Vegas premises liability lawyer at Hofland & Tomsheck can provide invaluable assistance if you’ve been hurt on someone’s property. Our attorneys will investigate your claim, gather necessary evidence and negotiate or litigate on your behalf to give you the best chance of a successful claim. We understand how stressful it can be to cope with injuries because of inadequate property maintenance and we’ll fight to get you fairly compensated for losses.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.